Next to owning a home or paying for education, buying a car is among the biggest purchases a person makes. Despite the huge investment, however, many people take a passive approach when it comes to vehicle maintenance. While regular oil changes are great, they only go so far in keeping your vehicle in tip-top shape. To ensure vehicle safety and to prevent the need for costly car repair, car inspections are key. Here you’ll find the key benefits of a car inspection.
Peace Of MindIn San Diego, we rely on our cars every day to get our families and ourselves around town. Investing the time and money into a car inspection is a proactive step in reducing your chances of breaking down on the way to soccer practice or getting stuck in the office parking lot. Knowing your vehicle is running smoothly offers peace of mind that you and your passengers will be safe and that your daily routine won’t be interrupted by car trouble.
Money In Your PocketMany car issues build up over time. This means they can be caught and fixed before they cause big trouble. But these little fixable problems aren’t always easily detectable. A vehicle inspection by an experienced and certified technician can help catch them long before they result in attention-grabbing sounds or a lapse in function. Vehicle inspections do cost money, but identifying small issues before they become problems will save you big money in the long run.
ALWAYS HAVE AN INSPECTION PRIOR TO PURCHASING A USED CARCar inspections are considered preventative maintenance, and we recommend having them twice annually. But it’s also important to have an inspection prior to heading out on a road trip, after an accident (no matter how minor), and before purchasing a used car. We’ll emphasize here that it’s especially important to have a used car inspected prior to purchase in order to identify any underlying issues it may have. This is a common practice as even a test drive can leave large issues unnoticed, and the last thing you want is to invest in a vehicle that becomes a money pit. Generally, sellers who are being upfront about the condition of a car for sale will have no issue with you getting it inspected before committing to the sale.
OUR 24-POINT INSPECTIONThe specific items that get checked during a car inspection vary from shop to shop. At General Auto Repair in San Diego, ASE-certified technicians will conduct two-dozen visual and hands-on assessments to get a comprehensive picture of your car’s health. Our technicians will:
- Inspect Operation Of Air Conditioning And Heating System
- Inspect Brake Pads And Shoes For Wear
- Inspect Brake Hydraulic System
- Test Emergency Brake Adjustment
- Inspect C.V. Boots On Front Wheel Drive Cars
- Check Shock Absorbers/Struts
- Inspect Condition Of Exhaust System
- Visually Inspect Undercarriage/Check For Signs Of Damage
- Inspect Tires For Proper Inflation, Tread Depth, And Wear
- Visually Inspect Gas Tank For Leaks
- Visually Inspect Oil Pan For Leaks
- Check The Battery
- Check Engine Oil And Filter
- Inspect Wiper Inserts
- Check Air Filter
- Inspect PCV Valve
- Check Transmission Fluid Level And Condition
- Inspect Belts For Cracking, Fraying, And Wear
- Check Engine Coolant Level And Condition
- Inspect Condition Of Radiator Hoses
- Inspect Condition Of Heater Hoses
- Inspect For Coolant Leaks, Radiator, Surge Tank, And Water Pump
- Test Operation Of Turn Signals, Brake Lights, Headlights, And Tail Lights
- Check Brake Pedal For Proper Travel